Thursday, July 21, 2005
news alert* new london explosion
news alert* new london explosion Latest Sky News Video On Reported Explosion |
news alert* new london explosion
new london explosion NEWS ALERT Stations affected TUBE EXPLOSION REPORTED There have been unconfirmed reports of an explosion on the London Underground, and an incident on a bus in Hackney, East London. There have been no reports of casualties. Stations at Warren Street, Oval and Shepherd's Bush have been closed. Services on the Victoria, Northern and Hammersmith & City Lines have been suspended. Emergency servies started receiving calls just after 12.30. At Warren Street there were reports of a nail bomb explosion. Sky's Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said police believe this may have been the sound of detonators going off. Victoria Line train passenger Ivan McCracken told Sky News he spoke to an Italian man who witnessed an explosion just after the train arrived at the platform. "He told me he had seen a man carrying a rucksack which suddenly exploded. It was a minor explosion but enough to blow open his rucksack. Everyone rushed from the carriage. People evacuated very quickly. There was no panic. "I didn't see anyone injured but there was shock and fright. "There was a smell of smoke." Bus in Hackney "The man who was holding the rucksack looked extremely dismayed. Police have cordoned off the streets around Warren Street station. They said a suspect package had been reported on a Victoria Line train. Sky reporter Mark White said authorities are "pushing everybody as far back from the station as they can". "Police activity suggests that they are looking for somebody on the outside here." Another eyewitness, Sosiane Mohellavi, said "Everyone panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking." Scotland Yard said emergency services have responded to an "incident" on a bus in Hackney Road, on a junction near Colombia Road, east London. Sky News Foreign Affairs editor Tim Marshall said: "There is a bus parked there which is empty and there is nobody anywhere near it." This does indicate that police think the bus is still dangerous. It is two weeks to the day since bombers attacked three Tube trains and a bus in central London. |
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Slovak Radio Council to meet tomorrow to decide RSI's fate
![]() credit: http://medianetwork.blogspot.com Slovak Radio Council to meet tomorrow to decide RSI's fate In Slovakia, the Radio council will hold a special meeting tomorrow to discuss the intention of Slovak Radio's General Director to to lay off 84 employees and stop shortwave broadcasting by Radio Slovakia International (RSI). The announcement stirred a wave of criticism as well as disputes within the Radio Council. Present at the meeting should also be Culture Minister Frantisek Toth. The staff of RSI have issued an open letter, which states: Out of 84 planned redundancies a quarter represent the staff of Radio Slovakia International – the 6th station of the public broadcaster. This figure represents almost two thirds of the total number of positions in RSI. Due to these radical cuts the foreign service – an important, unique and many times the only source of information about Slovakia in 6 languages (English, French, German, Russian, Slovak and Spanish) - will not be able to fulfill its mission sufficiently. Shortly after the establishment of the independent Slovak Republic, Slovak Radio in Bratislava started its shortwave broadcasts to inform the whole world not only about the current political developments in our country but also about Slovak economics, culture, society, tourism, history and sports in its 30 minutes daily programs. Thanks to the fact that our programs and news are produced in this public institution and are based on reliable agency sources the world can receive updated and objective information on a daily basis. It is necessary to point out that our programs are prepared and produced by our own journalists. Broadcast with such a wide audience is the result of work of a small team of professionals skilled in languages including Slovak as well as foreign journalists and technicians. The necessity of the existence of this source of information has been approved by increasing number of listeners (we receive about 10 thousand letters a year). We should not omit to mention a large archive of materials and documents created over the past 13 years of RSI’s existence. Foreign broadcasting is in most countries a part of the overall foreign strategy for all but Slovak government. Despite the alleged efforts to implement RSI into promotion of Slovakia abroad none of the Ministries is ready to support its existence financially. For the period until June 2006, the Economy Ministry has allocated SKK 2.6 billion from the operational program Industry and services, including SKK 700 million for promoting Slovakia abroad. It is a paradox that in this effort the state is not willing to support by SKK 50 million a year such a well established and reliable form of promotion of this country abroad as RSI. This open letter expresses the support to the efforts of the Slovak Radio management to sustain the foreign broadcast services. The RSI website also says that "Should you wish to protest about the stopping of shortwave broadcasting from Radio Slovakia International the following e.mail addresses may be useful for you": Director of Slovak Radio: reznik@slovakradio.sk Culture Ministry: ministerkultury@culture.gov.sk, km@culture.gov.sk, Ksr@culture.gov.sk Government Office: urad@vlada.gov.sk Parliament: info@nrsr.sk Ministry of Finance: inform@mfsr.sk, mgera@mfsr.sk Foreign Ministry: infopublic@foreign.gov.sk Economy Ministry: fondrkova@economy.gov.sk , kudlickova@economy.gov.sk RSI: englishsection@slovakradio.sk |
Sunday, July 17, 2005
New Station from France
credit: http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/swpirates Next sunday a new station called black Face will be testing from France on6.520 around 07.00 utc. Join up with the great SW pirates free radio forum at www.alfalima.net/forum |
![]() |
|